[PRE-SUMMARY]Problems with emulating SUNs under v4.0

From: Larry Griffith <larry_at_garfield.wsc.mass.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 12:12:36 -0400

Dear Managers,

        Thanks to my respondents:

Mike Iglesias <iglesias_at_draco.acs.uci.edu>
Craig Hagan <hagan_at_cih.com>
Lucio Chiappetti <lucio_at_ifctr.mi.cnr.it>
David Warren <warren_at_atmos.washington.edu>
Dave ??? <norton_at_nrlmry.nav>
Alan Davis <davis_at_alf.dec.com>
Mike ??? <crossmd_at_heu534.ha.uk.sbphrd.com>
Piotr Nestorow <pn_at_telelogic.se>
Marcel Bernards <bernards_at_ecn.nl>

        There were basically three suggestions:

1) Use a infocmp command on the SUN:

        infocmp sun-cmd > sun-cmd.ti

   Move the sun-cmd.ti to the DEC and use tic:

        tic sun-cmd.ti

2) Have the DEC open an xterm window on the SUN's DISPLAY.

3) Launch an xterm on the SUN and then telnet to the DEC.

        I've done the necessary setup for 1) (thanks to those who provided
the necessary .ti file, since I don't have a SUN to run the infocmp command
on). I'll pass the suggestions on to relevant users and summarize anything
significant that I get. Thanks for all the help!

Original post:

Dear Managers,

        I have several colleagues and students who log into my DU v4.0
machines (DEC 3000/300LXs) from remote SUN workstations via telnet.
They report problems with terminal emulation. The SUNs are completely
beyond my control and I do not have a SUN locally available to make
tests, so I can only report my users comments.

        Here are two comments from an experienced user logging in from
a remote SUN workstation. The first comment was an attempt to login
with TERM set to sun-cmd, sun, and sun1. Digital Software Support
added a suggestion to try xterm, which occasioned the second comment.
As you can see, all attempts were more or less failures.

        Any suggestions?

Message 1:

> > Larry, The change is noticeable, in that it tries to make the
> terminal a sun-cmd terminal rather than the default VT100. However,
> the sun-cmd driver isn't recognized. It can't even display a man
> page, not surprisingly (however, if it were a VT100 designation, the
> sun would be able to display it). When I do a tset or reset and
> export TERM; TERM=sun it tries to be a sun; it works the man pages
> ok, but emacs is fouled up, and unworkable, albeit in a different
> fouled up fashion than when it is in VT100 mode. Either one is
> unusable, this is not just a one line bottom of the screen louse up.
> Setting to sun1 doesn't work either. With sun1, I'm not able to
> even get into emacs, but I am able to display mail. I've also tried
> these terminal types using the csh initializations (viz. setenv
> TERM), but with no luck.

Message 2:

  The xterm designation didn't work, but it was worth a try. Sounds
as if DEC support isn't what it used to be! Hopefully, your net
broadcast will turn up better results.

Addendum to message 2:

Larry,
   Just some added information..The system here tries to set the
terminal to be a 'sun-cmd' terminal. I then changed it to sun and
sun1, without having a resulting functional success with either.

                                                Larry

Larry Griffith Dept. of Computer & Info Science
larry_at_garfield.wsc.mass.edu Westfield State College
(413) 572-5294 Westfield, MA 01086 USA
PGP public key available at: http://garfield.wsc.mass.edu/dcis/griffith.html