CDE on NCD - Solved!!!

From: Burch Seymour RTPS <bseymour_at_encore.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 10:24:16 -0400 (EDT)

<to recap, I got a new X-Tube which ran all of CDE perfectly, *except* I
  could not open terminal windows>

Well fellow alpha-cytes after much effort and gnashing of teeth the problem
was found in a bunch of "normal" boot up error messages. The terminal could
not find the XKeysymDB file. We put it in the place where setup was looking
and bingo, the terminal windows started working. Maybe some X-windows
guru can tell us why everything else *except* terminal windows got along
fine without that file....

The reason it took so long to find, is that message was long gone from the
message buffer by the time I got CDE up and running and tried to open
the terminal window. I couldn't imagine that all this other stuff could
work if there was some fundemental error in the boot up and was concentrating
on the actions of the open terminal thingie. I looked at the error logs
and messages on the terminal with no help forthcoming.

Eventually we worked backwards out of desperation and found the error.

--
This message from,			Encore Computer Corporation MS/712
Burch Seymour                           6901 W Sunrise Boulevard