how to reach SRM console when the bootstrap fall in an infinite loop

From: Sigismondo Boschi <net1701_at_comune.bologna.it>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 17:06:56 +0100

I have got a message while of the bootstrap of an AlphaServer 400 (sorry
I cannot be precise about it... I haven't it with me now) cycling
forever.

I am sure I can get rid of it from the SRM console (booting with single
user mode) and then fixing the problem (I think I caused it, making some
mistake modifing the inittab file)

The problem is that the environment variable auto_action is set to boot
and I do not know a way to force the SRM console ***before*** the
bootstrap (some key combination I hope...)

I have heard of resetting the ROM using some jumpers and of turning off
the (internal) hard disk (ugh).

If these are the only ways please, send me more informations.

Please send me a private answer too, since I am not still subscribed to
this list (I do not know the address, how you can see from my previous
message :-)

thanks in advance
--
                                        Sigismondo Boschi