SUM: CPU-Types...

From: Sable - Hendrik Roepcke <alpha_at_jungle.toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 15:11:05 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello, i got a good answer from:

From: "Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-881-0646" <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>

according my question about the ">>>sho fru" firmware information
about our 4 CPU types:

> we have a 4 CPU machine:
>
> 3 CPU with BI 37 AY.....
> 1 CPU with BI 34 KA.....
>
> is the software version from all CPUs from Kanada lower than the
> one from Eire???

I don't understand your question. "AY" stands for "Ayre, Scotland" and "KA"
stands for "Kanata, Canada" which is where the CPU boards were manufactured.

What software are you talking about? The console firmware and Digital UNIX
software that should be used on the CPU boards is the same, regardless of
where they were manufactured. The only thing you *might* need to be careful
about is making sure that the console firmware revision is the same on all
of the CPU boards -- there is no guarantee that it will be the same if
you've got boards that were manufactured at different times in different
places.

Tom

 Dr. Thomas P. Blinn, UNIX Software Group, Digital Equipment Corporation

and an memo from:

 <alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com>

        I've also heard that uerf misreports memory errors as
        unknown CPU exceptions. I don't know what the numbers
        are before the serial number, but suspect you can mix
        CPUs from any plant....
                                     ... Strictly speaking the
        software version is the version of the operating system
        running on the CPUs and will be the same for each, since
        then run the same copy of code from memory. The firmware
        version of the PAL code could be different, but then
        the system probably wouldn't boot. Some internal
        process number might differ between the two depending
        on where and when it was built, but that's unlikely to
        affect operation.

thank you so far for the helpful information...

Hendrik