"system" UIDs under Digital Unix : who owns wtmp ?

From: Lucio Chiappetti <lucio_at_ifctr.mi.cnr.it>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 13:56:51 +0200 (MET DST)

I am in the process of integrating three Alphas with DU in our NIS
domain, which so far included Suns and Ultrix DECstations.

I have noticed that the DEC-shipped passwd files includes two users with
uid 10 (adm) and uid 11 (ris).

This is inconvenient in our environment, since NIS uid 10 and 11 were
long ago assigned to two users (there is no preclusion on use of uids
.le. 10 on Suns) and would be a pain in the neck to change them.
(actually I am 11 !)

I recall that when we installed the Ultrix boxes there was an uid=11 ris
account, but since that was not used at all and owned no files I simply
changed passwd to assign to it uid=-11.

Now I am puzzled by the fact that there is also an uid=10 adm which owns
A FEW files in /var/adm, one of which is however wtmp.

THE QUESTION
Is there any danger if I change the uid of adm to -10, and chown all such
files to the new adm, particularly on a running system ?

       A member of G.ASS : Group for Astronomical Software Support
Lucio Chiappetti - IFCTR/CNR | Ma te' vugl' da' quost avis a ti' Orsign
via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano | Buttet rabios intant te se' pisnign
Internet: LUCIO_at_IFCTR.MI.CNR.IT | (Rabisch, II 46, 119-120)
For more info : http://www.ifctr.mi.cnr.it/~lucio/personal.html