SUMMARY: Quantum Atlas Disk woes

From: John P. Speno <speno_at_swarthmore.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 14:14:05 -0400 (EDT)

Last week, I asked if anyone else had problems using Quatum Atlas 4.3Gb
external disk drives because the two new ones I had on my news server worked
for a while, then got a case of bad blocks.

Here are a summary of the replies:

The Mysterious Blue Moon Network Administrator <root_at_net.bluemoon.net>
(aka J. Henry Priebe Jr.) wrote:

> I made the mistake of using one for my INN news spool on a BSD machine and it
> got bad blocks up the wazoo....

> I remapped around 200 blocks in 8 or 10 sessions.

Well, that about sums up my own experiences with the drives as well. I'm
going to return them if possible, and try something from Seagate.

Other folks wanted to know if the drive got hot, and I don't think so. It
had a fan, and was A/C'ed room. Some people said that Quantum drives run
hot, need extra cooling.

I used 'scu' to show defects, and one drive showed 2913 bad blocks, and the
other had 1806. I'm not sure if that was the factory list of bad blocks, or
the current list. That also may not be higher than normal, considering the
size of these drives.

--
John P. Speno, jspeno1_at_swarthmore.edu, Swarthmore College Computing Center
	     "There is no wisdom greater than kindness."