SUMM: AdvFS-generated crash

From: Javier Aida <jaida_at_gmd.com.pe>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 09:42:20 -0500

The answers I received are coincident in that definitely there are a lot
of problems with AdvFS on pre-v4.0 versions, but Tom says that with 3.2G
many of his problems were solved. Peter Milnes has offered to send me in
some way the patches he has for 3.0B. As i explained him, we've not
migrated to DU3.2 or DU 4.0 because the first step is to migrate a
critical application.
On the other hand, many of the respondants suggested to recreate the
filesystems, or to check the filesystems with /usr/field/msfsck and
/usr/field/vchkdir, looking for repeated tags/inodes and use
/usr/field/tag2name utility, as Robert points.
Dougal points that "a bad block in the metadata area of an AdvFS
filesystem would cause to fatally kill the machine, and it wouldn't log
itself as a bad block, but as a hard error"

Many thanks to:

Kurt Carlson
Peter Milnes
Louis Bouchard