SUMMARY: Postscript to HP-RTL conversion utility in DU

From: Surash Natarajan <SURASH_at_omc.otis.utc.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 20:29:00 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks to all the people who responded :-
wes_at_peabody.COM
munhoven_at_olive.msm.ulg.ac.be
rayner_at_storm.greta.cri.nz
woody_at_gergu3.tamu.EDU
rbae_at_esri.COM

Below are some of the responses :-

******************
        "ghostscript" is a postscript interpreter support a large
number of devices, including the DesignJet 650c. I would suspect that
the 650c driver would work with the 750c; I've never used those
printers, though.

        Ghostscript source is publicly available. The current
"non-commercial" version is 3.33 and can be downloaded via anonymous
FTP from prep.ai.mit.edu, directory /pub/gnu, files ghostscript-3.33*.
Ghostscript is developed by Aladdin Enterprises and there is generally
a somewhat more capable version available through them with some
additional restrictions on use. For your needs, the publicly
available version is probably sufficient.

 --
Wes Chalfant Peabody Systems wes_at_peabody.com
                          (714) 639-8643 FAX (714) 639-2817
********************
Hi,
unfortunately I do not even know what HP-RTL is ...
We had a similar problem with large PostScript files on an HP 1200C/PS.
As a workaround, we used Ghostscript (which does nothing but create a raster
image after all) to convert the PostScript to PCL :
Instead of :
   lpr -Pcps large.ps
we used :
   gs -sDEVICE=pjxl300 -sOutputFile="|lpr -Pcps" large.ps
where "cps" is the name of the printer queue, and "large.ps" the file to
print.
Unfortunately you have to feed in a RETURN for Ghostscript to proceed at the
end. Since it was only meant as a workaround, I did not spend a lot of time
find a solution to this.
Note also that the 1200C/PS is configured to switch between PS and PCL on
its
own.
I hope this helps to solve your problem. Perhaps the latest Ghostscript
version
knows about HP-RTL too.
Good luck,
     Serge

 Serge Munhoven Internet:
MUNHOVEN_at_OLIVE.MSM.ULG.AC.BE
 Univ. of Liege, Department MSM (C2), Phone:
++32-41-669337
 Quai Banning, 6, B-4000 LIEGE (Belgium) Fax:
++32-41-530978
*********************
On our suns we used ghostscript which is free and will do the
conversion. This may do what you want. We found though that for some complex

greyscale plots from our GIS package it wouldn't quite get it right
So we bought Image Alchemy from Handmade Software (which also converts
between a lot of other formats and does things like scaling etc)
ghostscript is available for DU and Image Alchemy probably is .

Richard
R A Rayner +64-4-386-0300 ph +64-4-386-2153 fx
|\ | | \ /\ / /\
| \| | \/ \/ /--\ rayner_at_storm.greta.cri.nz
National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research Ltd
Wellington NZ Taihoro Nukurangi
*********************
Dear Surash:

A product called Image Alchemy should do the trick.

Regards,

Ryan Bae

 _|_| Environmental Systems Research Institute Inc.
 _|_|

 Ryan E. Bae Tel: (909)
793-2853
 Technical Support Fax: (909)
792-0960
 ESRI - Redlands Fax on Demand: (909)
307-3111
 380 New York St. Tech Support Hotline: (909)
793-3774
 Redlands, CA e-mail:
rbae_at_esri.com
 92373-8100
                                              http://www.esri.com/
**********************
Below is my original question :-

>>Hi,
>>
>>Does anyone know of any utility that converts postscipt file to HP-RTL
file
>>format in Digital UNIX. We have a HP DesignJet 750c and the problem we
have
>>is when we try to print postscript files to it we get out of memory error.

>>It is my understanding that when a postscript file is printed to the
plotter
>>using the lpr command, the plotter rasterizes it (it builds a picture in
its
>>memory), so the whole rasterized file must be loaded to its memory before
>>printing it. Based on this, increasing the plotters memory will not ensure

>>that the memory error will not happen again. The better solution will be
>>represent the file in a format that will enable it to be "plotted on the
>>fly". HP-RTL file is a rasterized file format, therefore the information
is
>>in order and the plotter does not need to do any processing on that file.
So
>>we are looking for any utility that can converted postscript files to
HP-RTL
>>file format. Any response will be much appreciated.

Surash Natarajan
OTIS Engineering Center
Penang, Malaysia
surash_at_omc.otis.utc.com