[SUMMARY] DNS forwarders question

From: BigRedDog <ckrieger_at_latrade.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 14:34:30 -0400 (EDT)

My original question:

>I have what I hope is a simple question. I have 3 dns servers. All are
>primary. It was like that when I got here, I am trying to fix that, but
>it is of lesser importance. One of the servers, gatekeeper, is directly
>connected to the internet, and can resolve any address in the normal
>fashion. The other two can only see the local network. I want them to
>forward non-local requests to gatekeeper. I put "forwarders gatekeepersip"
>statements in the named.boot files and restarted named.
>No luck.

>What am I missing?

Peter Gross <pag_at_probita.com> came up with the right answer. It seems
that the forwarders statement times out after a very short time (I have
a very slow link, time-outs are not uncommon) and tries the next
forwarder. If there is not another choice then the server will try the
address itself. Since what I have here is actually a slave, I need to
have a "slave" statement in the named.boot to force it to only use the
forwarder. Much credit also goes to the O'Reilly book "DNS and Bind".

Thanks,

-cliff