New installation questions

From: Craig Silva <csilva_at_vichealth.vic.gov.au>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 10:02:09 +1000

I've been doing a test install on an alpha 400 server and took the
easy option of installing all optional software subsets . To my
dismay, I attempted to unzip the gnucc archive to /tmp and started
getting file system full messages. That's an awful lot of software

/usr is in its own approx 400 mb partition with /var about the same.

I do not wish to do any software development but would like to be
able to install and compile various Internet apps from source.

So (this is a bit of a tautology) which optional subsets do I REALLY
need to install. - I'm going to put gnucc rather than buy the dec
license.

I also have a question in relation to documentation - why the $%#$*&
does DEC not provide the Documentation CD with their internet
alphaservers? After paying a not insubstantial sum for a box, I
assumed that reasonable documentation would be included. I only
got Network Configuration and System Administration with the factory
installed software which luckily I dumped to tape, otherwise i would
now be without any documentation at all. Are there any alternate
sources of documentation and if not any idea of the cost of the CD?

Finally - I'm going to use advfs on the 1mb and 2 mb drives
installed. I may need further space at a later date but not in the
near future (not going to run anything more than local news). Do I
need to try and install/work out LSM or enable it in the kernel?

Thanks for any ideas.

Craig
Craig Silva, Electronic Outreach Program Officer
Victorian Health Promotion Foundation, Melbourne Australia
e-mail: csilva_at_vichealth.vic.gov.au, Tel: 61 3 9345 3211
Post: PO Box 154, Carlton Sth Victoria. 3053. Australia