X Emulation Problem in DU 4.0

From: Surash Natarajan <SURASH_at_omc.otis.utc.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 00:48:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

We are using Exceed For Windows 3.1 version 5.0 for X/Windows emulation from
PC. Previously in Digital UNIX 3.2c (using Enhanced security), to enable a
PC to connect to any Digital servers or workstation using X/Windows
emulation, all we had to do is edit the "ttys" and "devassign" file in
/etc/auth/system to add an entry for the PC that we wish to connect using
X/Windows emulation. Plus edit the "securettys" file in /etc if we wish to
connect as root.
In Digital UNIX 4.0, the same process does not work, we get an error
message, "Cannot obtain database information on this terminal", when trying
to connect to the Digital machine using Exceed on a PC. Furthermore a core
dump file is created in the root directory of the Digital machine we are
trying to connect.

Is there any additional steps in Digital UNIX 4.0 to enable an X/Windows
emulation from PC or is this a bug in Digital UNIX 4.0. Any response will be
much appreciated. Thank you.

Surash Natarajan
OTIS Engineering Center
Penang, Malaysia