SUMMARY: lpd probelms.

From: <marco_at_gore.afep.cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 96 12:31:34 -0400

Thanks you to all that responded (replies below)!

Original Post:
> I am having a probelm printing to our AppleLaserwriter 16/600 PS off of
>our DEC 3000/500 using DU 3.2c. The printer is a remote printer; it has its
>own IP address. This is one of those, "It worked Friday" problems. When I try
>to print a file, either text or postscript, the print job is queued but it
>doesn't print. I tried to restart the daemon but it doesn't seem to solve the
>problem. "/usr/lbin/lpd" does appear in my process table afterwards.
>
> {shortened -> lpq command hangs for a bit}
>
>BTW, the printer does accept jobs from the Macintosh
>machines around. There is another DEC 3000 which is experiencing the same
>problem however. Quite perplexing. Two things have changed in this lab before
>this problem: (1) the electricity to the facility had to be turned off, and
>(2) some of the Macs in the lab have been switched around.

Solution:
        For some reason the printer was given a different IP address! It could
have been switched by the person who switched them around, I don't know. The
macs print using TCP/IP protocals though, therefore I believe that the culprit
is my fellow worker. I could not ping the printer before hand. I was not sure
if it would work to begin with. Steve Campbell sudgested that it should be able
to be "pinged", and in fact it did work after they were fixed. Other
interesting replies include the following:

From: Stephen Campbell <steve_at_avalon.dartmouth.edu>

This sounds like the laserwriter is not responding to IP or at least not
responding to requests and queries in the lpr/lpd protocol. The hung commands
you see might eventually complete if you wait long enough. The DEC box is
waiting to get a status message back from the remote device, ie the
laserwriter.

Can you ping the laserwriter from the DEC box? That will show if you have IP
connectivity between them.

Check the IP configuration on the laserwriter. Perhaps it got undone when the
printer was power cycled.

------------------------------
From: Jean-Loup.Risler_at_genetique.uvsq.fr (Jean-Loup Risler):

just my one cent contribution

> some of the Macs in the lab have been switched around

No Mac with the IP# of the printer???

-----------------------------
From: "Dave Golden" <golden_at_falcon.invincible.com>

This might not help you at all, but in my case this happened when
someone mistakenly assigned the printer's IP address to a PC running
windows '95. I was mighty ticked off when I finally figured it out.

I'm guessing that your macs are using appletalk to get to the printer.
That would explain why they can print.

------------------------------
From: Michael Boer <boerm_at_u.washington.edu>

We have an Apple 16/600 that listens to my Alpha as well as Macs and
Wintel systems. Sometimes it seems like the Macs take over and the only
fix seems to me to shut the printer power down for a moment.

-----------------------------
From: atoalu2_at_ato.abb.se (Andreas Lundgren)

OK. We have quite a few of the 16/600's and ours work flawlessly as TCP/IP
printers, however they keep dropping off the local EtherTalk. :-(

All we do to get them to work is give them an IP address with the Apple
Printer Utility, then telnet to the printer to set the rest of the
parameters.

You also *HAVE* to remember to first put the uppermost little switch on the
printer to the upper position to make any changes go permanent. Perhaps
that's what caught you?

Thanks Again to all who responded.