Mail Bombing

From: G. Matthew Sweet <m_sweet_at_tec.nh.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:32:00 -0400

To whom it may concern,

   We are currently gearing up for a possible mail bomb attack from AOL and
possibly others. We have been having some problems with an AOL user who
sent a message to approx 700 accounts (causing some denial of local
service) asking for usernames and passwords. Supposedly, that person's
account has been removed from AOL, however two days later we received
another message from a "different" AOL user stating that unless we removed
our firewall, we would be subject to extreme mail bombing. From what I can
tell, there isn't a lot that I can do proactively. I'm looking for options
for setting up sendmail to refuse mail from an address, limit message
sizes, or anything else that might help. We are going to install TCP
Wrappers for logging of other services and are cuurently running Enhanced
Security to protect the pasword files. I searched the list archive, but
didn't have much luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any and all help!

G. Matthew Sweet
m_sweet_at_tec.nh.us

Imagine a time when it all began, In the dying days of a war
A weapon -- that would settle the score
Whoever found it first would be sure to do their worst --
They always had before... The Manhattan Project By Rush