Unable to open pty

From: Kevin Reardon <kreardon_at_cerere.na.astro.it>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 18:25:23 +0100

Greetings All,

     I have been having problems with xdm, the X Display Manager, recently
(running DU 3.2D on a 2100/275). Recently, I have become unable to open any
text windows (dxterm, xterm) on the machine, either on the graphics console
or remotely, whether logged in as a user or root. Apps like dxclock and
dxcalculator work fine. When opening a DECterm (with DISPLAY and
permissions set correctly), I get the following error:

slurp>423% dxterm
DECterm: Can't open pty!

- This happens even immediately a reboot;
- I've increased the number of pty's;
- I'm not running enhanced security;
- I tried running xdm with -debug 9, but I don't get any relevant error
-messages.
- All the pty and tty devices exist in /dev (plus tty01 and ttyd0??).
- I notice now that there is no "pseudo-device rpty 255" line in
-the config file, but that is the same as before when the machine was
-working fine serving ptys (i.e. it was using the STREAMS-based, 255 pty
-default). The LDTTY, RPTY, and BSD_TTY options are set in the
-configuration.

I was having problems earlier with MME because it was starting up before
xdm and root wouldn't be allowed to get the console. I haven't been able to
find much in the way of documentation on this. I found a similar question
in the archives from several months ago, but there never was a summary. Any
tips would be welcomed. We're tired of having to telnet in from other
machines!

cheers,
kevin reardon

Osservatorio Astronomico di Capodimonte