Bug, or Feature in DU4.0/CDE???

From: Burch Seymour RTPS <bseymour_at_encore.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 08:27:24 -0500 (EST)

Spooky Halloween to All,

I'm curious about whether this is a widespread problem, or a random rare
occurance. Indulge me as I give the background story.

Yesterday as it was nearing quitting time, I wanted to check the closing
market prices on some stocks, and hit the proper URL on Netscape. Something
was wrong, somewhere, because Netscape just hung. Well that's happened
before when it can't get a DNS entry for whatever reason, but usually
it just times out and goes on, eventually. Yesterday, it did not.

Needing to leave as I had an appointment I just hit the exit button on
the CDE bar. Well, CDE put up the hourglass, and after a long wait,
had not changed it. At this point I really had to leave, so being
desparate, I power cycled my x-tube to initiate a reboot.

This morning when I came in, many (if not all) of the processes from last
evenings session were still running and had to be manually killed. Then,
when I brought up CDE, my window preferences were hosed. I previously
had 6 workspaces, now I had 4. Colors were changed, background patterns
had vanished. But other things remained, so it wasn't a complete
reset to defaults.

So my questions are:

1) Why don't processes connected to my X-tube die when the x-tube is
   rebooted? Should they?

2) Why should even a catastrophic reset of my terminal screw up my
   custom CDE sttings, which have been in place for weeks. (The point
   being I didn't just change them 20 seconds before and leave the
   possibility they were in a buffer somewhere and not yet written to disk)

3) One of my co-workers says on his system he frequently, and for no
   obvious reason, finds his CDE environment reset to default, to the
   point of getting all the "first time in" windows and messages. Do
   others out there see this?

4) Is Digital aware of problems in this area?

Thanks.

--
This message from,			Encore Computer Corporation MS/712
Burch Seymour                           6901 W Sunrise Boulevard