Printing to an HP5si/mx printer

From: Chander Ganesan <C_at_Asu.Edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 13:15:16 -0900 (AKST)

Hello-
        I'm trying to set up my DU4.0A workstation to print to an HP
Laserjet 5Si/Mx . The problem I am having is that printouts end up
defaulting to paper tray 2 (which is set up to be a colored banner page).
At present my banner pages come out in the color that the printouts shoudl
come out in (ie. they are reversed from what they should be) . Here's a
history of my problems:

        Initially, I set up the printer using DEC's print setup tool.
This caused the printout to go directly to the JetDirect port on the
printer (which was fine) . However, while this worked great for
postscript, it caused the 'step effect' on normal text printers. To
correct this I wrote a short filter. While sending printouts to the
filter using 'cat filename|filter|lpr' printouts came out great, but no
matter how I defined the filter in /etc/printcap it wouldn't work (if, xf,
tf, etc.) . As a result I couldn't print out my normal text (which was a
problem for me) . Because of this I modified the print configuration.

        The print config that I switched to was as follows:

lp0|0|lp|5si/mx:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/lp0err:\
        :if=/usr/local/printer/lpfilter:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd0:\
        :ct=tcp:\
        :lp=_at_printername.host.domain/hpprint:\
        :mx#0:

(hpprint is defined in /etc/services as 9100/tcp )

        While this worked for both postscript and normal printing it
caused my header pages to be garbage text, and I still don't think my
filter is working :-( . I can print everything out now, but it uses the
wrong tray (wrong color paper) and the header pages are messed up.

        My question is ... has anyone gotten printing to this sort of
printer to work via native printing (ie. without having everything go
through numerous print queues, or through some external printing program)
? I would think it should now, since DU4.0A seems to know about JetDirect
printing. If so could they please let me know how ?

As is the creed of a DU Manager....Responses will be summarized. :)

--
Chander Ganesan
Information Technology