SUMMARY: su and DU4.0 with Enhanced Secu

From: Jennifer Salcher <salcherj_at_cistech.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 96 14:52

My original question:

I'm having a problem with DU 4.0 and Enhanced Security. Since upgrading a
server to run Enhanced security, I can no longer SU to root... I'm in the
system group and am still unable to do this even on the console. The error
message I get is:

> su - root
Password has expired.
Setting a new password for it cannot be done from here.

Thanks to the following for his reply:

Mark E. Glidden <glidden_at_poseidon.harvard.edu>

The problem was because upgrading to Enhanced Security apparently defaults
to force passwords to be changed at the next login. Therefore, once I logged
in as root and changed the password, I was then able to login as myself and
switch user to root.

Now I can move this machine off my desk and back into the computer room.