SUMMARY Polycenter Scheduler (disappointed!)

From: Simon Tardell <tardell_at_particle.kth.se>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 20:45:41 +0100

Hello all!

I asked about experiences with Polycenter Scheduler and whether it was
supported
under dU4.0A/DCE2.0.

These are the answers I received. I must say I am very disappointed with
Digital selling out its batch queue system, which must be considered a core OS
service (well, it is in VMS, from the same people) to a company whose intent
is to scrap the product.

Simon

Simon Tardell, voice +46 8 162688 fax +46 8 347817
Fysikum, Stockholms universitet simon_at_physto.se, tardell_at_particle.kth.se

attached mail follows:

Simon -

Unfortunately Polycenter Scheduler is a *dead* product in my opinion.
Digital originally implemented it with an Informix database.
Digital had plans to remove the Informix database and make it work with any
general SQL database. This never took place - the product was sold.
ComputerAssociates purchased Polycenter Scheduler.
ComputerAssociates does not resell any Informix products, in my understanding,
due to it having purchased Ingres some years prior. Some marketing
or business agreement/competition reasons, I presume.

We are using Scheduler V3.0 on Digital UNIX v3.2G (with DCE V1.3). We have
spoken to Digital and perhaps also ComputerAssociates, and have gotten the
impression that there will only be maintenance to the product if it fails
to run at all, otherwise there will only be workarounds, if anything.

We are actively persuing a replacement such that we can migrate away from
Scheduler. We are still in the research stage.

Having said that, Scheduler is a very nice product, more full-featured than
any simple batch queuing system like NQS, and more full-featured than many
other job scheduling systems for UNIX.

Randy M. Hayman
haymanr_at_icefog.alaska.edu

attached mail follows:

>Anyone using Polycenter Scheduler 3.0? As far as I understand it is a batch
>queue system using DCE for infrastructure. I wonder:
>* How do you like it?

Yes, using it and liking it. However, it was sold to Computer Associates
last April. CA can't sell it because of the imbeded use of Informix and
Digital won't sell it anymore. Support is now limited to assisting customers
with workaround and severity one problems (system down), and even that
support is marginal. In essence, it's a dead product... do not consider it.
We will be migrating off it as time permits.

If you'd like more information, let me know. Regards, Kurt40

Kurt Carlson, University of Alaska SOIS/TS, sxkac_at_alaska.edu (907)474-6266