SUMMARY: CAM_ERROR on Alpha 1000a 5/300

From: Blom, Wayne <wayne.blom_at_faulding.com.au>
Date: 11 Dec 1996 18:19:26 -0000 (GMT)

Well I am posting a summary as the problem has been solved.

I got no replies from the list but I didn't really expect any on this.

The solution was to do with the SCSI controller on the 1000a This
controller provides a wide path to the internal disk storage bay and a
narrow path to the CDROM and thence to the external port.

The controller requires an ACTIVE terminator on the external port and
since I had a tape drive with a passive terminator the problem arose.
Additionally there is practically no length left in the 3m SCSI limit
once the cable reaches the external port which leads me to wonder why
the heck it is even there. You have less than 0.5m left out of the 3m
SCSI bus length and that is only if you are using 3 disks or less. My
tape drive and cable were just over that length and this probably also
contributed.

Frankly I am a little bit annoyed (read pissed off) that Digital would
"Engineer" such an arrangement.

Yes it was a documented feature but it took two weeks and a very
dilligent local support person to find it.

It was two lines in an obscure engineering reference that unless you
have a problem (and with the current arrangement it is inevitable)
never sees the light of day. It was not documented in the user or owner
manuals (the obvious place for such information) nor was it documented
in any reference manuals related to the controller.

2 weeks of lost production because 2 lines of information were neglected
from any of the relevant manuals. (Or perhaps because an external port
that is useless is provided for "something??")

OK Soapbox session over.

Wayne Blom
F H Faulding & Co Limited
A.C.N. 007 870 984