SUMMARY: Cannot fork: too may processes

From: Benjie Gandionco <benjieg_at_corp.nsc.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 14:47:13 +0800

Sorry for the late summary. I had to make sure the system was running fine
before I posted the summary. I got serveral responses, most of them within
24 hours after I posted my message. I love this list!
-
My original message:

  We have a problem with our DU 3.2D-2 system. We have set up a GUEST user
  with no password and this account is used throughout the plant to run our
  attendance monitoring system (AMS). Since the AMS has its own login
  validation, a common guest account was enough. Our licence is for 64
  users.
    When the no. of GUEST logins reaches around 17, this message comes up
  after logging in:
          cannot fork: too many processes

    The $ prompt comes up sometimes after this error, but all I can do is
  EXIT.

    Where do I start looking to solve this problem?
-
  These are the results:

1. I tried changing the MAXUSERS value in /sys/conf/HOSTNAME, but the
problem did not go away. I increased the value from 32 to 128 and rebuilt
the kernel.

2. I increased max-proc-per-user and max-threads-per-user in sysconfigtab
to 512. THIS solved the problem. This is what my /etc/sysconfigtab file
look like:

proc:
 max-proc-per-user=512
 max-threads-per-user=512

3. After having done this, I had to increase the no. of tty's since the
max was only around 32 by doing a MAKEDEV PTY_1.
-
Thanks to the followin persons for all the info and even sending follow-up
mails:

Olle Eriksson
Mandell Degerness
Flamand Laurent