Q: Need advice with managing multiple (3) DUnix Alpha machines

From: Karen Thomas <kthomas_at_csunet.ctstateu.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 17:01:05 -0500 (EST)

Managers,

        For about 2 years now, we have only had 1 DU Alpha machine in our
office. Within the past month, we started up 2 more DU Alpha machines, so
now we have 3 machines and I really need advice in the best way to manage
3 machines: (Alpha 1000, DU4.0A) (Alpha 2100, DU4.0B) (Alpha 4000, DU4.0B)

        We do not need to share pasword files because there are only 3 of
us who will be managing the machines and the users of the machines are
completely different groups of users. One machine is our internet server,
one is our library system and the other is going to be our Decision
Support System. Here is a quick look at the three machines. They are
similar in many ways:

        Internet Machine:
                Alpha 1000A
                Advfs
                No Raid
                C2 security
                DU 4.0A

        Library System:
                Alpha 4000
                UFS
                SWXCR Hardware Raid
                Base security
                DU 4.0B

        DSS with Oracle:
                Alpha 2100A
                UFS
                SWXCR Hardware Raid
                C2 Security
                DU 4.0B
                Oracle

        I would like to use something like Performance Manager and
unicensus to look at my machines but I really don't know what I should be
doing different now that I have 3 machines instead of just managing one.
I basically am treating all 3 like they are individual machines. There is
no coordination among them. Is there a better way to manage multiple
machines than just having each machine manage itself?

        If anything, just point me in the right direction to applications
that can help me manange things like backups, system management, upgrades,
having the machines communicate without introducing security holes, etc.
or give me the jist of how you manange multiple machines at one site.

Thanks in advance,
Karen

Karen Thomas

Connecticut State University System Office
Information System
THOMASK_at_CTSTATEU.EDU
PHONE: (860) 493-0118