Ethershare on OSF1

From: Dave <dburwell_at_telecom.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 10:19:12 -0800

  I am having problems with Helios Ethershare running, reliably, on a DEC
Alpha 250. Is there anyone out there running Ethershare on a DEC that wants
to discuss this?
  The hardware is actually from a company called "Invincible Technologies".
It is an Alpha 250 with a Mylex RAID controller. It is running Digital UNIX
V3.2G (Rev. 62) with their "MEDS Manager" software for control and status
of the RAID subsystem and "virtual filesystems" (advfs).
  The Helios Ethershare allows the fileserver to be an Appleshare
fileserver for the Macs.
  The Ethershare software is unstable on this machine. It will run for
awhile (4 to 14 hours). Then one of its several proceses, that make up this
package, will stop responding. The load factor of the server will start to
rise, and the Mac clients can no longer access this server. I have to kill
all of the Ethershare processes, then restart it. The other alternative is
a reboot.
  The support for Helios is not much help. Their stand is it must be a
machine problem, and I am not experaniced enough on the DEC to say where
the actual problem is. And, they are not DEC experts; Ethershare runs on 10
different UNIX platforms.
  Thanks
Dave.