SUMMARY: Reducing bufcache on AdvFS only systems

From: John P. Speno <speno_at_swarthmore.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 15:57:56 -0500

> Therefore, on systems that do not have any UFS file systems, shouldn't we be
> able to reduce 'bufcache' (default is 3, or 2 on systems with mem < 24MB) to
> a lower value without seriously impacting system performance?

My answer came from the Digital CSC. An engineer answered that it is
perfectly safe to lower bufcache from 3 down to 1 if you are only using
AdvFS file systems.

Therefore, you can save yourself a few Megs of RAM by doing this. I'm there.

> Furthermore, when the system displays this upon startup:
>
> physical memory = 512.00 megabytes.
> available memory = 496.14 megabytes.
> using 1958 buffers containing 15.29
> _megabytes of memory
>
> Is that "available memory" referring to the amount left over after the 3
> percent chunk allocated for the 'bufcache'? If you do the math, it's damn
> close to 3% anyway.

The answer here is yes.

P.S. The way to change your bufcache is to add this to /etc/sysconfigtab:

vfs:
   bufcache = 1

And bufcache will be set to 1 upon the next reboot. Using dbx -k /vmunix
might also work, but I don't know if it goes into affect at any time other
than startup. Better off rebooting.

--
John P. Speno, speno_at_swarthmore.edu, Swarthmore College Computing Center
	    "There is no wisdom greater than kindness."