Problem adding 5th HD to Alpha 1000 (4/266)

From: Randy Moore <ramoore_at_alexus.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 16:23:22 -0500

Hello,

I am attempting to add a 5th hard drive to an AlphaServer 1000, but I
can't get the server to recognize the new disk. After inserting the
drive into the cabinet, the LED on the drive comes on and stays on, and
the system does not recognize that the HD has been added (using 'show
device' ).

The system uses regular SCSI, so I should be limited to 7 SCSI devices.
By my count, I should have one SCSI ID still available (#6).

I currently have 4 SCSI Hard Drives (IDs 0,1,2,3), a SCSI CD-ROM (ID 4),
and a SCSI Tape Backup unit (ID 5). I assume that the SCSI controller
uses ID 7.

I was able to take the system down to the monitor level and found that I
could add this drive as long as I took out any other drive, so I'm
fairly sure the new HD works properly.