CD-Writer and Digital UNIX question

From: Guy Dallaire <dallaire_at_total.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 17:53:02

Hi,

We have a new requirement here. We will have to archive lots of stuff
OFFLINE for perpetual storage. We have the option of archiving to tapes
(We have a TZ88 and a TZ87) or on CD-ROM. The problem is that we will have
to keep 2 copies of the TAPES or CD-ROM in case one of the copies would be
lost/damaged/etc...

There are other consideration like the cost of it. TK88 tapes are not
cheap. I was wondering if the cd-writer is a viable alternative to it.
Also, the archived stuff will be used by end users under DU AND Windows/DOS
boxes, that's why I find the CD alternative attractive.

Does anyone have experience with a CD-WRITER for DU ?

Manufacturer/Model that works WELL with an Alpha 2100/RM ?
Cost ?
Ease of use ?
Possibility of creating ISO9660 CD's readable by UNIX and Windows/DOS ?
Software Needed ? Cost of the software ?
Hardware Needed ?

We have ALPHA 2100/RM's, they both have an internal SCSI BUS as well as
KZPSA controller hooked to 2 HSZ40 controllers in dual redundant config.
Part of the archived stuff will be kept online on a RAIDSET, from time to
time, we will put some of it online to TAPE or CD. I would like to know if
I can fit the CD-WRITER into one of the ALPHAS on the internal SCSI bus, if
the CD solution is retained.

I'm new to CD-R and would also like to know if it is easy to create a
master with today's software under digital UNIX.

If anyone has other suggestions that work well, your comments are welcome.
Meanwhile, I will check with DEC website for the marketing info...

                                        Thanks

Guy Dallaire
dallaire_at_total.net

"God only knows if god exists"