Sendmail Filter

From: Debby Quayle <dquayle_at_hamilton.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 08:36:06 -0400

Dear Friends,

I'm sorry for the slightly off base question, but I've hit a brick wall and
I am hoping that someone out there might know how to deal with this.

We are using our Alpha 1000 (DU 4.0a) strictly as an E-mail server. Our
users, for the most part, only use Eudora (with Pop3) for their mail
reader. Because we are a campus environment, we have set up several large
aliases to facilitate campus wide E-mail announcements. Not long ago,
someone whose return address was improperly formatted in Eudora (John
Doe_at_college.edu -- with a space between John and Doe) sent a message to one
of our large aliases. The result was disasterous! In those mailboxes
where the message was first in, the mailbox could not be opened ("Error
processing From lines" -- is the error in Eudora) because the message
couldn't be parsed properly. In mailboxes that already contained mail, the
message became appended to the one ahead of it, again because it couldn't
be parsed properly.

I am really new to UNIX and don't know how to prevent this from happening
again. Is there something I can do in the sendmail configuration or in
Pop3 to disallow spaces in E-mail addresses?

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.

Debby Quayle

Asst. Dir. Help Desk Services &
 E-mail Administration
Information Technology Services