SUMMARY: rdump

From: David K. Magee <magee_at_fiona.umsmed.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:06:09 -0600 (CST)

Thanks to all that replied! (and quite fast at that!)

Sheila Hollenbaugh <shollen_at_valhalla.cs.wright.edu>
Paul A Sand <pas_at_hopper.unh.edu>
Jack <jackb_at_pgw.picker.com>
Richard Renshaw <rrens_at_hcia.com>
Alan Rollow <alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com>
Karl Marble <marblek_at_ci.worcester.ma.us>

The problem I originally posted was:

I am trying to rdump three filesystems from one 1000/266 to another which
has a tape drive. I'd like to rdump exerything onto one 4mm tape. So, if
I execute these commands:

rdump -0 -u -b 32 -f fiona:/dev/nrmt1h /
rdump -0 -u -b 32 -f fiona:/dev/nrmt1h /usr
rdump -0 -u -b 32 -f fiona:/dev/nrmt1h /usr/local
rdump -0 -u -b 32 -f fiona:/dev/nrmt1h /staff

It should do this, right?

If I try to restore files, say from /usr/local (even on the machine with
the tape drive), I type:

mt -f /dev/nrmt1h fsf 3
restore -i /dev/nrmt1h

Executing an `ls` at this point shows me the root filesystem.

So my question ? Is what I'm trying to do with rdump possible?

thanks for any help!!

David

---------------- snip -------------

Shelia's reply, which I tried first (and it worked!):

Yes, here is the script we use to gp to a DAT drive on another machine:

rdump 0unf gamma:/dev/nrmt0h /dev/rrz0a
sleep 30
rdump 0unf gamma:/dev/nrmt0h /dev/rrz0g
sleep 30
rdump 0unf gamma:/dev/nrmt0h /dev/rrz8f
sleep 30
rdump 0unf gamma:/dev/nrmt0h /dev/rrz2c
rsh gamma mt -f /dev/rmt0h rew

We found that the sleep command helped with a timing issue with the tape
drive not being ready. You can adjust the dump flags as needed.

Placing the `sleep 30` in my script allowed me to dump and restore without
error.

Some others pointed out that I had the wrong file number in the `mt -f
/dev/nrmt1h fsf 3` , sorry, a typo on my part.

Again, I thank all of you for the help!

David
--
David K. Magee                      My Cray is not faster than yours.
magee_at_umsmed.edu                             #include<std.disclaimer>