vdump

From: managers account <managers_at_mannet.mcb.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:36:26 +0100 (BST)

WE have always used dump and restore for our backups as we use UFS but we
realised that vdump was not limited to advfs so are looking at using its
extra features.
Is there an easy way of specifying an "Exclude" function as you can in
RSTS or VMS?
eg We want to back up the system nightly except the news.
News is on disks /data1 and most of /data2
Both of these are referred to as mount directories in root.
We wish to backup
all root and everything below (inc /usr, /data etc) EXCEPT /data1 and
/data2/alt

Of course there are thousands of directories and files below /data1 and
/data2/alt but none of them are required.

I hope I have explained the requirement clearly and that there is a
solution.

One of my colleagues also asked whether you can put a dump and a vdump on
the same Dat.

Stuart McKenzie