SUMMARY: setld wont delete SVEADM350

From: Bugs Brouillard <bb1_at_axe.humboldt.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 10:44:14 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks to the following for there responses:

"Jenkins, Gary C." <gcjenkins_at_escocorp.com>
"Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-881-0646" <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>
Pat Villani <patv_at_unx.dec.com>

My problem was;

The installupdate program tells me to remove system V environment
subsets (I once used system V but removed it 2 years ago).
A setld -i shows that SVEADM350 is still installed, so i enter
setld -d SVEADM350 but here's what comes out:
not a tty
cron may not be running - call your system administrator.

INIT: single user
#

I was in single user mode already.
What do I do to delete this subset?
I upgraded from 3.2c to 3.2g, am trying to upgrade to 4.0a.

Tom Blinn said;
->setld isn't going to work in single user mode -- it needs to operate on a
->number of things that would normally be in the /usr or /var file systems.
->
->Depending on what the deinstallation script for SVEADM350 is trying to do,
->it may need other things running as well. This is only a guess, but it may
->want to delete some cron jobs that it thinks would be running. This is not
->under setld's direct control -- it's a product specific script that may not be
->coded correctly (as you can guess, the product deletion logic usually gets the
->least testing :^).
->
->Bring the system up to run level 2, log in as root, and use setld to remove
->the SVEADM350 subset. If it still doesn't want to go away, then just cd to
->the /usr/.smdb. directory and remove all the SVE* files. That will allow
->installupdate to proceed as if you had never loaded any SVE* subsets (but
->if there are still some startup scripts somewhere you may need to clean them
->up manually). Then bring the system back down to single user and follow the
->directions in the installation guide (run bcheckrc, update, swapon -a, and you
->should be able to do the installupdate from there).

Gary Jenkins said;
->You must be in multi-user mode. Been there and had the same problem.
->Seems stupid to be in multi-user mode, but that's how you remove it.
->Then go to single-user mode and remove all the other S/W before
->upgrading.

Pat Villani said;
->How did you remove the subset two years ago? If you didn't use setld,
->this
->may be the problem.
->
->Let me know so I can better analyze the situation.

To originaly remove the system V environment about 1.5 years ago, I used
the setld -d command's shown near the end of the sys V install guide under
removing the sys V environment. This removed 6 or 7 subsets, but I didnt
verify with setld -i. So SVEADM320 still showd up as "installed".

Before Dec ever returned my call, or before receiving the 3 responses, I
went to /usr/.smdb and removed the files, the rest of the install proceded
to a successful completion. I should have gone to multi-user mode and did
the setld -d, it would have probably went cleaner.

Bugs Brouillard Unix system administrator
Humboldt State Univ. 707-826-6123
Arcata, Calif Fax 707-826-6100

email bb1_at_axe.humboldt.edu