tweaking Quantum Atlas drives

From: managers account <managers_at_mannet.mcb.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 17:42:02 +0100 (BST)

We sent a mail to Quantum support asking how we tweaked
their 4.3gb Atlas drives so they could be used in an Alpha
Storageworks cabinet and received the following, rather
unhelpful, reply.

From: qsupport_at_qntm.com (Quantum Support)
Subject: Re: details on how to tweak an Atlas for use in DEC Storagew

     The question you have is better directed at Digital. We do not
     provide consultation on drive configurations on an OEM product like
     the Alpha. DEC can provide what attributes, if any, are needed to
     provide better or enhanced performance. If anything needs to be
     changed in the drive you would need to get a SCSI editing tool and
     modify the mode page parameters in the device, this is something we do
     not provide.

Digital say, Ask Quantum. I thought we were over this
problem of chasing your tail but I think Quantum are more
at fault if they want to sell as many drives as possible
then they should do all they can to make them compatible.

Does anybody know what attributes should be tweaked and how
we obtain a SCSI editing tool to do it. We DO have a working Quantum in
the cabinet which was modified by a distributor but the dist. is no
longer available to ask. However, perhaps a suitable tool could read the
parameters off the disk???

Stuart McKenzie