Matlab and Unaligned Access on DU4.0B

From: Erik Persson <erik_at_lysator.liu.se>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 22:57:25 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello there, fellow managers!

I just finished installing and configuring (from scratch) the
following setup:

Hardware:
AlphaStation 500/500
288 MB RAM (256 MB 3rd-party DataRAM memory)
PowerStorm 4D40

On this I thereafter installed DU 4.0B, C++, Fortran, Pascal and C++
runtime from the associated products CD. After that I proceeded with
Open3D 4.1 (O3D410) from the Oct '96 Layered Priducts CD.

All of this went very smooth and most things works perfectly. There
are some more and less serious problems that appear to be graphics
related:

The worst problem is that Matlab 5.0 hardly runs at all if it wants to
use X-windows. All I get is an never-ending barfing of:

"Unaligned access pid=(some pid) <matlab> va=(varies) pc=0x12048175c
inst=0xb6e00000"

If I run matlab without $DISPLAY set, everything runs fine (no
graphics of course) and fast as hell too. If I let it run against a
remote display (in this case a AS200 4/100) I still get a lot of the
errors but it works.

Matlab v4.2c also produces simliar errors, but can be run with DISPLAY
on the AS500.

Aside the matlab problem (which for us is the by far most serious one)
netscape (either the 3.0 shipped with DU4.0B or the 3.01 i normally
use) tends to crash far more easily on this system than on any other
DU box that we've got here.

The system that gets closest to this setup is a AS500/266 with a
PowerStorm 3D30. This system has the same operating system and
software installed (exactly the same versions).

Any ideas or hints on how to solve this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
/Erik

--
Erik Persson                   Home: +46 13 12 38 89
Banergatan 9                   Work: +46 13 28 24 64