MSB audio on AlphaStation 500/500

From: Erik Persson <erik_at_lysator.liu.se>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 17:25:13 +0200 (MET DST)

I have difficulties getting an AlphaStation 500/500 to recognize its
sound board. The machine is like all my other Alphas running Digital
Unix 4.0B and this is the first time I have failed to get the sound
working. It seems as if the msb device is not configured into
hardware. This has happened before on AS200, but at these times I have
always been able to solve the problem by using the 'isacfg' or the
'add_sound' SRM utilities.

According to the sound board section of the "Digital AlphaStation(tm)
500 Series User Information" (PN EK-ALPH5-UI, Rev B.01) Section G,
"Sound Card Overview", Page G5, 'isacfg' might be of help on the AS500
as well and there is also a pointer that says that more info on isacfg
may be found in the 'ISACFG Secttion' in Appendix A. Now I am stuck
with to problems - both pretty confusing:

1. SRM says "Invalid command" upon entering 'isacfg' or 'add_sound'.
   a listing of available console commands shows no trace of any such
   commands.

2. There is no ISACFG section in Appendix A in the above mentioned
   manual.

Facts about the system:

AlphaStation 500/500, 2 GB disk, 288 MB RAM, PowerStorm 4D40,
Fast Ethernet (present as one PCI card - DE500 I think), console
firmware V6.4-5.

If any of the honourable managers has any idea about how to solve
this, please share it with me. Thanks,

/Erik

--
Erik Persson                   Home: +46 13 12 38 89
Banergatan 9                   Work: +46 13 28 24 64