DU4.0b: xdm/dtlogin problems

From: Farul Ghazali <farul_at_cuccfa.ccc.columbia.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 12:55:44 -0400 (EDT)

We just installed DU4.0b on our Alphaserver, with CDE, and are trying to
setup some mac/pc clients to use xdm to login onto the system.

The problem currently is with the default DISPLAY environment set by the
dtlogin program. For some reason, the DISPLAY variable is set to only the
first field before the period, instead of the whole hostname. eg. CDE is
trying to start the display on valis (my local machine) instead of
valis.ccc.columbia.edu. Adding the proper lines to /etc/hosts fixes the
problem but this is not very flexible.

How do I tell dtlogin to use the whole hostname for the DISPLAY variable?
Also, is it possible to allow xdm connections from hosts without valid
entries in a nameserver?

Thanks in advance.

farul ghazali
systems analyst
columbia university in the city of new york