sound card on alpha255/300

From: Jerry Ponder <ponder_at_la.asu.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 18:24:13 -0700

I have an alphastation 255/300 running Digital Unix 4.0B. It does have a sound card and
the appropriate Multimedia Services are running. The problem is that when I run the
*.avi, *.au, *.wav, etc. files (either ones that were pre-installed on the system or ones
off the net), what I hear is very noisy. I've tried these same files on both SGIs and Macs
and the files sound normal there. If I listen carefully enough to the sound card on the
alpha, I can hear what the sound should sound like, but the noise is overpowering.
(Decsound does show the waveforms correctly).

So, my question is: did Digital send us a bad sound card?

Thanks

Jerry

               Jerry Ponder
    Department of Physics and Astronomy