Lost 22MB on root partition

From: Yvon Lauriault <yvon_at_infoserv.nlc-bnc.ca>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 17:22:36 -0400

Hi,

After a system reboot we started to run out of disk space on
our UFS root partition. All other partitions were properly
mounted without problems. Since we have /tmp mounted elsewhere
we were able to run without to many problems while we
investigated to reason why root was 111% full.

I ran a 'fsck -n' on root and got this:

** /dev/rre8a (NO WRITE)
** Last Mounted on /
** Root file system
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
UNREF FILE I=58 OWNER=root MODE=100600
SIZE=2352 MTIME=Jun 2 16:53 1997
CLEAR? no

UNREF FILE I=388 OWNER=root MODE=100600
SIZE=22044672 MTIME=Jun 2 09:52 1997
CLEAR? no

** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
1329 files, 63290 used, 277 free (269 frags, 1 blocks, 0.4%
fragmentation)
/sbin/ufs_fsck -n /

It indicated that I had a 22MB unreferenced file. When I finally
shutdown to single-user mode at night the hole disappeared by
itself. As of now, I still don't know where the 22MB file (hole!)
came from.

The only thing I am suspicious about is CA-Unicenter which makes
use of a 'pipe' file in /etc to trap all syslog messages. Is it
possible that a 'pipe' that is not read would fill-up the root
where /etc is?

This happened on a 2100 5/300 running DU 3.2g.

Any advise would be appreciated.