Restricting Telnet/FTP from a machine (not to a machine)

From: Steve Madden <smadden_at_csu.EDU.AU>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:40:43 +1000

Hi all,
We have an Authentication Proxy Internet Charging type arrangement at the University. Which we have just implemented. So all dialin and PC clients have to go through this proxy which records who downloaded what.
The Unix boxes however are a different story. I am trying to find an alternative to filtering out all services from those machines (at the network level). Yet since students will pretty quickly realise that they can download things that way for free, so I have to do something.
I thought of creating a group called FTP and changing the permissions on the ftp binary but then they will just install a new one...
So, is there a utility that allows you to control outgoing services on your machine, or more lower level changes I can make so I control who uses what outgoing sockets on my machines.
I assume someone would have tackled this in some way.. thankyou for reading..
Steve..