automate multi-account adduser script

From: Mark Schlam <mslist_at_castle.beaver.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 09:27:04 -0400 (EDT)

Can anyone tell me where to get such a script?
There are many ways to add multiple users. We already have a
script that will create a set of somewhat generic accounts with a group
name and increasing number. I need something different from this.
Our system is an Alpha 3000 600 running DU 4.0b
We are a private college. Every year we are provided with a long list
of new students names and id's. We would like to take this list from
a text file, and have a well documented script which will input each name,
from the text file, create a valid new username (unique, but not generic,
at least some of their name in it), and input the students id from the file
as the password. The script needs to be well documented because it would
need to be available for further modification.
Please excuse if this has been asked already.
TIA.