dxaccounts and large groups

From: David and Rhonda Ritch <dbritch_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 01:09:49 -0400

dxaccounts seems to handle large groups differently from the rest of
Digital Unix.

I am using Digital Unix 4.0B and 4.0C. My master NIS server is a
500/333 running 4.0B. I am not using enhanced security. When I use
dxaccounts to modify a user's account, it modifies all of my large
groups (groups with a lot of members). To some extent, this is a
reasonable thing. It is a normal work-around for a limitation of NIS to
have different groups with the same gid, when there are too many users
to put on one line. And in reading in the group file, dxaccounts merges
the groups with that it creates with the same name and gid, so that they
appear in the gui to be one group. However, the rest of Digital Unix
(the groups command and the actual observed permissions) only recognizes
the first of the groups with the same name.

Has anyone else observed this? Is there a patch? Or a procedure that I
should follow to make this work?

Thanks,

David Ritch