Tape drive speed

From: Paul Kitwin <PAUKIT_at_HBSI.COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 13:48:59 -0700

Looking for advice from people with lots of experience with DLTs

I just got a shiny new TL894 (4 TZ89's in a Library with 52 cartridges &
robotics) and I'm running some benchmarks.

I'm trying to sqeeze the most speed out of this beast and am looking for
tips.

What I've done:
Put each drive on a dedicated KZPSA-BB (FWD SCSI) and am running the
drives in FWD Mode.

What I am curious about:
- Which is faster: tar, dump, cpio or NSR?
- What is the fastest blocking factor for tar and dump?
- Any other recommendations?

TIA

I will post a Summary next week.