[SUMMARY] /tmp files removal

From: Jean A Larsen <JLARSEN_at_wwcc.cc.wy.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 22:00:24 -0600

I want to thank all of you who answered me so quickly!

My question: (Solution below the question)
We have a new Alpha 1000A DU 4.0b we are porting to.
I want to soft link my /tmp directory to another
drive. I found the following dir/files in /tmp
so I moved them to another directory first.

srwx system .TTX_137.87...30_0
srwx system .TTX_137.90....3_0
drwxrwxrwt daemon .X11-unix

In .X11-unix> srwxrwxrwx daemon X0

Good thing I saved the above and was able
to move them back because once gone from /tmp
I get the following message when I try to run
the CDE Application Manager icon:

The request to service this action has failed
for the following reason:
TT_ERR_PTYPE_START attempt to launch instance
of ptype failed....
Solution:

Most responses were to mount some other file system
onto the /tmp directory during the boot process.
To do this I would have had to perform newfs
edit the fstab and mount /tmp.

I talk to Digital Support for CDE support.
What we did was this:

>From a telnet session on another machine as su
run 2 programs to stop xsessions and the dt login
manager and then stop xlogin:

/usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -kill
/sbin/init.d/xlogin stop

mkdir /raid/tmp
chmod 777 /raid/tmp
cd /
rm -r tmp
ln -s /raid/tmp
chmod 777 tmp

/sbin/init.d/xlogin start

This worked great! It I have any problems with
the above then I will probable try using newfs, etc.
Thanks again, Jean

Jean Larsen
Computer Programmer/Analyst
Western Wyoming Community College