[Summary]Compiling an ascii kernel file from vmunix?

From: Paulo Gomes <paulog_at_dexel.co.za>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 97 12:38:00 PDT

Once again this list has proven to be invaluable to me! Thank you for
all those who provided responses. Apologies for such a late posting.
Solution/suggestions follow then problem description.

Solution:

Probably the best solution is the following "pearl of wisdom"!
You get it back from your backup.
 OR
Surely you have this file on a backup somewhere??

 ----------------------------
You don't. There is no way, in general, to tell from looking just at the
vmunix what options were used to build it. You *might* be able to go to
the
/sys/SYSTM_NAME directory and look at the files that are generated there
from the information in the config file (including both source and header
files as well as the Makefile) and figure some of it out, but there is no
guarantee you will succeed.

 --------------------------
If the system doesn't have any devices and all the devices present
when the original configation file was written are still present
you might get a good starting running sizer. See the manual page
to find out what option writes a configuration file. From there
you can add back whatever is missing. It might work as well to
run doconfig and let handle writing the configuration file and
offering the options.
 -------
On your current kernel

sizer -n SYSTEMNAME

A file 'SYSTEMNAME' will be out in your /tmp dir _without_ optional
modules/sizing/tuning changes...
Your better off restoring your original one.

 --------

You can run the sizer(8) command to create a new configuration
file:

# sizer -n HOSTNAME
# ls /tmp
HOSTNAME HOSTNAME.devs
#

The /tmp/HOSTNAME contains a new config file and /tmp/HOSTNAME.devs
contains a shell script to create the special device files for the
devices specified in the newly created configuration file.

Take a look at the sizer man page for more info.

I suspect that you may not get back certain customizations with this
method. Try it and see.

Problem:
Hi osf-managers,

A situation has arisen which has me a little confused. If you lose or
delete your /sys/conf/"SYSTM_NAME" in some way or other!,
how do you rebuild your original ascii /sys/conf/"SYSTM_NAME" file from

/vmunix without using genvmunix(because of some customisations your
kernel might already have).

Regards
Paulo