Q: maxuprc problems

From: Daniel David Benson <bensond_at_aion.ucdavis.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 14:23:43 -0700

Occasionally (twice now), I will get a user that will log into a
DU4.0b machine (Has the bundled patches) and gets a
maxuprc failure. Basically, the error is saying that he has
exceeded the maximum number of procs he can run. The
strange thing about this is he doesn't have anything else running.
Or least nothing that ps can see. I got the same error once before
when I was building a package on a filesystem that was nfs
mounted. The package was Perl and I started to get the error
when it's configure script started testing things.

Anyway, has anyone seen these kind of anomalies before? Does
anyone know a fix? I have my maxuprc set at the default. I really
don't feel good about raising that unless I have a clear understanding
of why I need to raise for me particular situation.

Thanks!

-Dan