SUMMARY: Can I mount a PC-only (apparently) CD-ROM on OSF 4.0b?

From: System Prestidigitator <BOLSON_at_FRANGO.HS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 16:00:56 -0700

Not completely solved but there has been progress.

First, thanks to:
Larry Church <lchurch_at_Adobe.COM>
"Delafontaine, Andre" <Andre.Delafontaine_at_echostar.com>
tracton_at_radonc.unc.edu
"Jeffrey G. Micono 6533 (Ktech)" <jgmicon_at_sandia.gov>
Robert Otterson <Otterson_at_mail.dec.com>

These responses are appreciated, but the suggestions had already been tried
(making sure cdfs was indeed installed, using -o rrip), or rejected (mounting
the disk on the PC and using NFS, reading the disk in raw mode).

The winner, again, is "Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646" <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>
who, after getting more details, gave me some new parameters to put in ddr.dbase
for my RRD46 CD-ROM drive (which had no entry at all in the original ddr.dbase!)
The important point is that the CD-ROM was using a special format called CD-XA
and DEC does not have complete support for that in Dunix 4.0b! He still thought
it would work, so I tried the new configuration.

(Good news) The mount succeeded!
(Bad news) The mount point was no longer available - witness:
# mount -t cdfs -r /dev/rz4c /cdrom
# ls /cdrom
/cdrom not found

Dr. Blinn has promised me that they are still working on it.
Possibly because I have in the meantime had no trouble mounting this on a
SparcStation!

Thanks again for listening. What a great list!

>I have a CD-ROM written on an X-ray angiography system in "DICOM" format.
>Our PC's (and my Mac) can read the disk without problems.
>I cannot mount it on our Alpha - it says that it is not a cdfs file system.
>I tried "mtools" (built from the net distribution, not the bundled, poorly
>documented version) but either it won't work at all or I don't know the
>options.
>
>Does anyone have a clue as how to deal with this. It would be of great use to
>be able to see these.
>
>I have been able to mount DICOM disks from another angiography system, but not
>from this one (Siemens works, Phillips doesn't).

Ed Bolson University of Washington Cardiac Imaging Lab (206)543-4535
bolson_at_u.washington.edu http://weber.u.washington.edu/~bolson
Box 356422, Room RR 616 Health Science Building, Seattle, WA, 98195-6422