[SUMMARY] hard disk

From: Oyanarte Portilho <portilho_at_tritium.fis.unb.br>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 07:53:43 -0300

Hi Gurus,

Thanks to:

Albert De Knuydt <Bert.Deknuydt_at_esat.kuleuven.ac.be>
"Guy Dallaire" <gdallaire_at_gustave.revenu.gouv.qc.ca>
Vahur Sinijarv <vahur_s_at_mv.parnu.ee>
Gyula Szokoly <szgyula_at_tarkus.pha.jhu.edu>
Carlos A M dos Santos <casantos_at_cpmet.ufpel.tche.br>
Richard Eisenman <eisenman_at_sanjuan.tricity.wsu.edu>
"J. Eric Mutter" <jero_at_neosoft.com>
Harald Volz <info_at_mpib-tuebingen.mpg.de>
"Murphy, Ed" <Ed.Murphy_at_ussc.ussurg.com>
Donald Rye <rye_at_jtasc.acom.mil>
klarsen_at_enterprise.afit.af.mil (Kristin (Kris) Larsen)
Gerhard Nolte <gnolte_at_gwdg.de>
"Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-884-0646" <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>
Kurt Carlson <snkac_at_java.sois.alaska.edu>
Colin Brooks <cbrooks_at_nature.berkeley.edu>

who were all amazed with the quoted price of US$ 3,000 for a
2.1 Gb (I forgot to mention the size) SCCI drive by Digital
service. I a general way people said that any large SCSI
HD manufacturer could provide something that works on our
AXP 3000/300X machine. They have installed successfully
brand names like Seagate (they said that Digital drives
are in fact Seagate), Quantum, Fujitsu, Western Digital,
Micropolis, Maxtor. However Carlos sent me a copy of a
message posted on Oct 6 by Wesley Darlington in which he
detected some problems with Quantum Fireballs, of the `Tempest'
or `TM' type. Anyway, Colin has indicated Western Scientific
( http://www.wsm.com ) as a good reseller since they guarantee
their disks will run in your machine. I have contacted them and
found that their Seagate ST34572n 4.3 Gb drive costs only US$750.
That is the way I will take. The only problem that may occur is
regarding the disk label. But that will be another story.

Thanks again from the Tropics.

        Oyanarte