fdfs causes vdump to barf (4.0B)

From: Robert L. McMillin <rlm_at_syseca-us.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 09:17:31 -0700

One of my users running 4.0B came to me with an odd question: his
nightly cron-scheduled vdump was failing. I thought it strange, too --
we have the odd tape failure. Usually, replacing the tape does the
trick, but not here. What we found was that he had an fdfs filesystem
mounted in his tree, and it was confusing vdump! That is to say, vdump
would exit if there was a fdfs filesystem mounted on a directory on the
same directory as root (say, at /fds).

I can't find anything in the mount(8) man page regarding fdfs, nor
anything that looks like it. Why would vdump fail this way? Normally,
it's smart enough to keep its paws off other filesystems.

--
Robert L. McMillin | Not the voice of Syseca, Inc. | rlm_at_syseca-us.com
	   Personal: rlm_at_helen.surfcty.com | rlm_at_netcom.com