SUMMARY: isacfg - documentation misleading

From: Judith Reed <jreed_at_wukon.appliedtheory.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 16:30:27 -0400

Thanks to Dr. Tom Blinn for a definitive answer to my question about
isacfg slot numbers!

Judith Reed
jreed_at_appliedtheory.com

                        :
> Examination showed that the isacfg parameters on the cpu board with which
> the Mach64 card worked were:
>
> slot device handle
> 7 0 MACH64 Singleport Yes
>
> and the isacfg parameters on the cpu board with which the Mach64 card did not
> work were:
>
> 2 0 MACH64 Singleport Yes
>
> When I went in and changed the "2" to a "7", the Mach64 card worked on
> reboot. Obviously, the documentation for ISACFG, quoted above, is wrong.

Dr. Blinn responds:

The documentation on "isacfg" is correct as far as it goes. What it does
not tell you is that once you build a "custom" kernel for your system, the
kernel will have a static map from the isacfg data on the system where you
built the kernel to specific data structures in the kernel, and if you then
change the isacfg data (as was done when the CPU module was replaced), you
either have to make the isacfg data match what the kernel expects, or you
have to rebuild the kernel (e.g., boot genvmunix and run doconfig again, or
edit your target config file and make the isa options slot independent by
replacing the slot # with a ? wildcard). Order matters, slot numbers do
matter for a target kernel, the generic genvmunix has slot-independent
device information (you can look at /sys/conf/GENERIC to see what it looks
like).