Compression onf TLZ07???

From: Linda Richardson <L.Richardson_at_canterbury.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 15:44:53 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

I've looked through the archives and although there is one summary that sounds
remarkably like our problem, it doesn't give enough information for us to solve it.

The scenario:

We have been backing up around 3.8G- 4G of data to a TLZ07 using
/sbin/vdump -0 -N -u (full, norewind,update files)

As I understand it this uses the default tape device which is rmt0h and should
therefore compress. We noticed the backup had suddenly started to take longer,
which may have been due to the bus reset problems we were having. Our backups then
started to fail with 'out of space' errors in the log files. Digital came and
upgraded the firmware on the disks, no change, they then changed the controller, no
change. They have now changed the tape drive (several times) but to no avail.

A summary in the archives from 31 Oct 1996 seems to be the same problem and gives
the solution as turning off compression switch, but according to my hardware book
there is no switch, one either uses the rmt0h device or -C. Also why did this
suddenly start to happen??

Any ideas, anyone? This has been going on for 2 weeks now, with Digital people
seeming to be grasping at straws, and if we take the system down any more then our
users will be out for blood!!

TIA
Linda

Linda Richardson, Systems and Networking Manager,
Canterbury Christ Church College,
North Holmes Road, Canterbury Kent CT1 1QU
email: linda_at_cant.ac.uk