SUMMARY: su, chfn, chsh, lp stopped working

From: Jason Birch <jbirch_at_psp.pair.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 20:12:58 -0800

My original message is at the end of this note.

The answer was kindly provided by Ian Mortimer:

> Check that you've got setuid permission on those files. Without that
> they won't work for anyone but root.

Other responses that could have been the problem were:

Brian Hill:

  This is just a guess, but it sounds like you chmod 600 /etc/passwd.

{I checked, it was 644}

Spider Boardman:

  Sounds like you've lost either the /etc/sia/matrix.conf file or
  the /etc/sia/siainitgood file.

{Both there, the siainitgood has 700 permissions; is that correct?}

Thanks to all,
Jason