should AdvFS quota always be enforced?

From: Richard L Jackson Jr <rjackson_at_portal.gmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 12:17:55 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

BACKGROUND:
I have a question about quotas that carries on the discussion/summary posted by
atokeni_at_ato.abb.se around 11/3/97.

It was decide that userquota,groupquota should be added to AdvFS filesystems,
via /etc/fstab, to be able to run quotacheck. This is true even for filesystems
that don't need quota enforcement. This fact is also in the DU 4.0 Release
Notes section 4.8.3.18.

Unfortunately, this enables quota enforcement the next time quotaon -a is
invoked, during reboot or manually.

This does not break anything since the default is to allow unlimited quota
by default. However, this mean quota enforcement is now turned on for
undesired filesystems.

QUESTION:
Does quota enforcement add additional overhead to the kernel? Anywhere else?
If it does, then is it worth having quota enforced for all AdvFS filesystems?
If the overhead is noticeable, then perhaps only add the userquota,groupquota
flags to all AdvFS filesystems, run quotacheck, then remove the
userquota,groupquota flags from the filesystems that don't require enforcement.

Of course, this is not an issue for sites with few users. However, we support
over 40,000 user accounts and over 700 concurrent users and growing.

We have AlphaServer 4100, 2100, 2100A, 1000 running either DU 4.0B or 3.2G.

--
Regards,
Richard Jackson