Limiting the number of users

From: Tomasz Gornicki <tom_at_win.oss.wroc.pl>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 13:54:42 +0000

Please read this message and let me know if you had similar
experiences.

My machine is Alpha Server 400 running under DU 4.0B.
Yesterday I defined new users and first time I got a message:

Maximum number of users allowed by OSF-USR license PAK are already
logged in

It appeared when I logged in about thirty users.
Today, less then 10 users have wanted to work simultanously and
system not allowed them to logg in giving message:

Maximum number...

I guessed that system still keep information about yesterday
loggings.

I took following action:
1. I typed OSF-USR unlimited number of users lincense key from
DECampus PAK. It was accepted by system.
2. I killed all processes...
3. ...reboot the system.

And what? During the test, I have got the message:

Maximum number ...

...but not all users are treated in the same way. Some of them
(older) are able to logg in when the others (newer) not.

Did the system keep information about loggings after logg out?
How long?
How to clear it to allow new connections?

Did you meet the problem?

Sincerely,
Tomasz Gornicki
Ossolineum